What: AJT’s Third Performance Event
When: Tuesday, October 26, 8pm – 9:30pm Eastern Time (5pm – 6:30pm Pacific Time)
- The Golem Theater presents Final Cut by Andras Vinnai (Hungary)
- Settlements by Seth Rozin (USA)
- Jewish Plays Project presents Motherland by Lisa Kenner Grissom (USA)
- The Trial of William Shakespeare by Alex Poch-Goldin (Canada)
- The Victim by Lawrence Goodman (USA)
How: Register here for this single event or the entire conference
Description: Performance excerpts curated by the AJT Conference Committee. The third of three performance events. EVENT 12
This event will be recorded and made available to conference attendees for 3 days via a private link.
The Golem Theater presents: Final Cut by Andras Vinnai (Hungary)
Can we believe the news on the internet? Is it true that Jews will take over the world? Is it rude to eat with a fork in a Chinese restaurant? Is it inappropriate to change the Turkish TV channel… in a Turkish restaurant? How does all of this connect? In 90 minutes of Final Cut we will solve and answer, believe and refute all your questions, knowledge, presumptions and observations about the Jews. Or not!
Jewish Plays Project presents Motherland by Lisa Kenner Grissom (USA)
In the midst of a personal crisis, Lizzie impulsively returns home seeking R&R, but instead is met by her aging grandmother Bella, who is obsessed with “remembering,” and her emotionally distant mother Sarah, who only wants to forget. As Lizzie goes down a rabbit hole of discovery, she finds herself unexpectedly unearthing generational secrets. Can the truth in fact set them free? With four generations of women on stage, Motherland is a time-bending drama about the importance of knowing your roots so you can reclaim your life.
Lisa Kenner Grissom, Playwright, Motherland; here comes the night
- Clea DeCrane is a writer, director and actor based in LA and NYC. cleadecrane.com
- Yuval David, Actor, Director, Filmmaker, with over 75 film festival awards & 25 theatre awards. YuvalDavid.com
- Kate Levy is an actor known for her work on Succession (2018), The Deuce (2017) and The Pepper Project (2015).
- Joyce Cohen has over 40 years of experience as an actor of stage and screen. actressjoycecohen.com
Settlements by Seth Rozin (USA)
When the resident theatre at a Jewish Community Center commissions a new play about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict from a Jewish-Jordanian playwright, the Center finds itself pulled in several directions. In these polarized times when extreme voices on the left and the right threaten to pull America one way or the other, Settlements examines the difficult balancing act of holding onto the center.
- David Winitsky, Director
- Steven Rishard, Actor in Settlements
- Cindy Gold, Actor in Settlements
- Becca Khalil, Actor in Settlements
The Trial of William Shakespeare by Alex Poch-Goldin (Canada)
Jewish Identity, Democracy and Theatre converge, when William Shakespeare is put on trial for hate crimes in 1947 British Mandate Palestine. An impassioned and harrowing exploration of anti-Semitism in The Merchant of Venice.
- Diane Flacks: Leah Friedlander
- Alex Poch-Goldin: Alexander Wren
- SM/Tech: Tommie-Ambre Pirie
- Directed by: Alex Poch-Goldin
A British theatre company arrives in 1947 Mandate Palestine to present The Merchant of Venice for the soldiers stationed there. When the Jewish artistic director of the theatre refuses to let the company perform the play, all hell breaks loose, and William Shakespeare is put on trial for fomenting anti-Semitism with his creation of Shylock. Jewish identity, democracy and theatre converge, in this impassioned and harrowing exploration of anti-Semitism in The Merchant of Venice.
The Victim by Lawrence Goodman (USA)
Denise Davidowitz, an emergency room doctor, will tell you she’s devoted her life to helping others. She learned from her grandmother, a Holocaust survivor, about fighting injustice and serving the less fortunate. But after she goes through diversity training at her hospital, her views on race, privilege and Judaism are forever shattered — with life and death consequences for those around her.
- Nick Olanka, video editor. Award-winning feature film, TV and theater director based in the Philippines.
- Daniel Gidron, director, Boston-based director and theater instructor at UMass Boston. Directing credits in the USA include Lyric Stage Company of Boston, Jewish Theatre of New England, New Repertory Theatre, and Nora Theatre Company.
- Stephanie Clayman, Boston-based actor, voice-over artist, teacher and medical communications consultant. Theatre credits include: NYC – Vineyard Theatre, The Women’s Project. Regional – Kennedy Center, Trinity Repertory. Boston Area – Huntington Theatre, Lyric Stage, New Rep, and Nora Theatre (IRNE nomination).
- Lawrence Goodman, playwright. A former playwriting fellow at the Huntington Theatre in Boston, his plays include Heresy, Conversations with Heshie and The Disappearance of the Jews. His work has been produced by the Wilbury Group Theatre in Providence, RI, the HERE Arts Center in New York and the New York International Fringe Festival.